You are an officer with the Social Welfare Department. You have been asked to write a report on missing children in Malaysia. Your article should integrate all the information given below. You should write 150 to 200 words.
Missing children in Malaysia from year 2006 to year 2008
The table present information on children lost and found in Malaysia from 2006 to 2008, while the pie chart provide reasons why these children went missing.
Although the number of children missing has decreased, it is sad to note that the recovery rate for missing children has declined as well. Abusive parents are the main cause of this problem.
In 2006, 2405 children were lost but only 1712 were found, a recovery rate of about 71 per cent. In 2007, 1803 children were lost. However, the recovery rate fell slightly to around 70 per cent, with 1254 children found. In 2008, 1485 children were missing, but only 900 children were found, resulting in a 10 per cent drop in the recovery rate to 60 per cent.
In light of these cases of missing children, the government has launched a hotline to help these distressed young people, and this may also solve cases of child and domestic abuse.
There are many reasons why these children went missing. The most prominent reason and amounting to about 65 per cent is because of abusive parents. The remaining 35 per cent comprised; 18 per cent due to peer pressure, 10 per cent were lured by strangers, while five per cent did so because they rebelled against parents. Two per cent of the children went missing due to unknown reasons.